Active toddlers can be quite a handful at times. It is not at all possible for children sit quietly all the time. In fact, most of the babies are hyperactive in the initial years.
- They are also very curious and try to poke their noses at the most unexpected places in your home.
- They try to explore new things every now and then and in the process, get hurt easily, even in the most baby-proofed homes too.
- They are so enthusiastic to learn about everything and have such a short attention span that they cannot just help but explore as much as they can.
However, hyperactive kids need to be controlled better, not only to keep them out of danger, but also in order to increase their concentration power. In the following lines, we have provided a few tips that will help you know how to make your active toddlers sit still for longer periods.
Tips For Handling Hyperactive Children
- Reading a story is one of the best methods to keep your baby engaged. Doing this will not only help you increase his/her attention span, but also enhance his/her imagination power.
- Talking is another method that can keep your baby mesmerized for hours at a stretch. Whenever you baby is awake, try to talk to him/her as much as you can, even when you are working alongside.
- Hide some of the toys of your child or change their position. Now, encourage him/her to find new ways of playing with the rest of the toys or the newly arranged toys. This will keep him/her busy and also increase his thinking power.
- Forbidden territories always tend to make babies more curious. So, it is advisable not to stop them from going anywhere. If they want to make mess in the kitchen, put them in a tub with lots of whipped cream to play with and enjoy. You can also catch some funny and naughty photographs of your child at this time.
- Playing interactive games with parents are thoroughly enjoyable and preferable for most babies. Such games keep them busy and also increase their bonding with parents.
- Put the baby in a swing or carrier seat and give him/her some safe toys to play with. This will keep him/her busy for quite sometime.
- Involve your child in art or craft activities. It is a good method to build up his/her attention span, as he/she will be giving undivided time and attention to the work.
- Find out the areas in which your child has interest and encourage him/her to indulge in those activities. It could be anything like drawing, building models, sewing and even coloring.
- Another way to increase your child's attention is through giving him/her some responsibility. Ask your daughter to help you in arranging things and your son to fetch some items for you, while you are cooking in the kitchen.
- Having a pet can help curb the hyperactivity of many children. Along with that, it will also make them more loving, responsible and proud of themselves.